Electricity helps make our lives easier but there are times when we can take its power and its potential for fire-related hazards for granted.
Electrical malfunction is the leading cause of home fires year after year. Here is everything you need to know about protecting your home and your family!
Home Electrical Fires- Did You Know?
- There are more than 45,000 home electrical fires every year
- About half of these involve lighting equipment and home electrical wiring
- Home electrical fire deaths peak between midnight and 6 a.m.
- Peak months for electrical fire deaths are December through March
Important Safety Tips
- Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, space heater, or microwave) directly into a wall outlet at a time.
- Extension cords should only be used temporarily. Have an electrician install additional wall outlets where you need them.
- Never use an extension cord with a heat-producing appliance.
- Don’t overload extension cords or wall outlets.
- Check your electrical cords. If they are cracked or damaged, replace them. Don’t try to repair them.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
- Electrical work should only be done by a qualified electrician.